click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 05-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
Dean Dinnetz

The infamous "White Connector", under the gas tank

Well gang, it finally happened. Was on a mini tour with Santa Cruz pals this weekend. The ol' bike now has 107,000 miles on it. With never failing to precede. That changed this weekend!

I have been aware of the white connector for awhile now. About three years ago, i took it apart, and cleaned the five contacts, then put dielectric grease, on said contacts. That may or may not, have been a good idea.

All was fine till this weekend. Heading towards Foxen Canyon Road just north of Santa Barbara, Ca., my 2002 FZ1 started mis-firing, and almost stopped running. Just as it was about to die, it came back to life! Hmm! I continued riding, and then about a mile or so later, the tach and speedo needles started to bounce up and down! The fuel gauge never moved, however. Then miles later, more mis-firing, when i was on Highway 154, by Cachuma lake, and finally the bike died, period. Right by the side of road, and i mean at the side of road! No shoulder! Traffic right next to me! WONDERFUL! S.O.B.

Anyway, a fellow came by riding Ural with side car. "Having trouble"? Yes, i said, the battery is dead, i guess. Odd, because i put a new battery in, just six months ago. This fellow, was amazing! He had a portable battery charger, So with cars roaring by, we put the charger on the battery for fifteen minutes. The battery then had enough charge, to start the bike, and ride about a quarter of a mile to a safe off road area.

About that time a couple of the lads come back, to see what happened to me. So, i had already checked all the fuses, and they were fine. Rich S. who runs a motorcycle repair shop, had a mini device to check the charging system. He checks it out, and the bike is not charging the battery. Right about that time, the light bulb goes off in my head! Hmm, the "white connector"! I wonder? So we lift up the gas tank, and pull apart the connector. This fellow on the Ural also, had a fresh can of contact cleaner! I kid you not! Rich, sprays both parts of the open connector, and then uses a brass bristle brush, supplied by guess who, to clean the contacts of said connector. Plug the connector back together, charge the battery another fifteen minutes, fire the bike up, and check for charging. Running at a constant 3k rpm's, it showed 14.2 volts. At idle 14.2, volts, also. It was the %*&#^%$ white connector!

So, i ride the bike back to Nopomo, where we are staying. The couple that live in this huge house where are staying, have a huge garage, also. The fellow John, is a hobbyist and had a wire cutter, soldering iron, solder, shrink wrap, and black electric tape.

So Rich cut a wire at a time, as there are three white wires, along with a black and a red wire. He soldered each wire together, then shrink wrapped each soldered wire. After that, i wrapped all five wires together with the black tape, then used a tie wrap, to secure the soldered wires to a adjoining wire harness.

I rode the bike yesterday to here in Hermosa Beach, with zero problems.

So my friends, my advice to you is this. If you have a gen.1 with 50K miles on it, or more, i would HIGHLY recommend this. Either cut that fu*king white connector out, and hard wire the wires in as i did, or remove the white connector, and replace it, with a heavy duty connector. Because you will have a problem, at some point, i guarantee it! That white connector will fail, too much heat at that connection.

Okay, i am done now! lol!

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Sorry you were caught "out in the wild" Dean but also glad you had some team support to get home and get the connector whipped into shape. That white connector is a well known issue, with several effective and well documented solutions. (Mine are soldered as well.)
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
Awefully familiar with a connector on the Aprilia Tuono. Heard about, read some horror stories, never fooled with it. I got caught in the middle of Chicago in traffic.
Point is, if you have a known issue, you are rolling the diceby not checking it out.

Glad you had support and made a friend with the Ural guy.

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
Big_Dave
Gratefully Deadicated

Glad everything turned out ok Dean. Nobody hurt, good people around you.
Big_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #5
QuietRider
Officer it won't go that fast

On a SuperDuke it's a gray connector.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #6
mjstouty
stouty

Glad you got'er'dun, nice to have some good folks around to lend a hand. It definitely made me think, I really gotta do the same before I'm stranded somewhere. I have 80,000 on the ol girl, and my confidence in her isn't as rock solid as it once was. Thanks for the wake up call...
Jardine slip on, cat gut, Graves AIS block off plates, EXUP eliminator, LARS airbox mod, Ivans ECU reflash, PCV with Ivans map, Traxxion AK-20 forks, Satan adapter with R1 shock, Satan highway pegs, Dirt Road seats, HEL steel briaded brake lines.
Learning to shake the ghost of crashes past...
mjstouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #7
RIDER1

If you hard wire the connection, will there be any issues later with maintenance not having a connector?
RIDER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #8
Dean Dinnetz

If by chance the rectifier/regulator goes south, then i would have to hard wire the replacement unit in.

However, that being said, i have not heard of that unit failing, on a bike like mine, with zero after market electrical devices on it. So, it should be fine, as is.

Dean
Old 06-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #9
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRider View Post
On a SuperDuke it's a gray connector.
And it's under the rear fender, right in the path of water and grit kicked up by the rear wheel

One of my next mods will be to make a shield for it to somewhat protect it.

Glad you got it sorted Dean. My upgrade for the white connector was WeatherPack connectors and pins, which worked fine as long as I owned the bike with it in place. I used the dielectric grease as well and my opinion is that it does help. I believe the biggest problem is microscopic corrosion which increases the resistance of the contacts resulting in heating, more corrosion, more heating, and on and on. The grease does not help conduct but it does help reduce corrosion.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #10
Dean Dinnetz

Yep, i thought about putting in a heavy duty connector that afternoon. However, i was at a friends house on a tour that weekend, and he had the equipment to solder the wires together, so i went that route.

I still might put that connector in, at some point in the future.

Dean
Old 06-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #11
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER1 View Post
If you hard wire the connection, will there be any issues later with maintenance not having a connector?
Not unless you need to replace the RR.. Direct soldering the wires doesn't interfere with removing the tank, valve checks/adjustments, etc.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #12
fejw

Dean, so glad that you are safe and had the "angel" be there at the right time for you! Amazing story, and I really enjoyed how you were able to troubleshoot the problem. Felipe
fejw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
Armadillo

Happened to me this morning on my way into work. 115000 on the odometer. I have a spare regulator here at the shop. The old one is probably fine is my guess. The connector is a little charred up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
Well gang, it finally happened. Was on a mini tour with Santa Cruz pals this weekend. The ol' bike now has 107,000 miles on it. With never failing to precede. That changed this weekend!

I have been aware of the white connector for awhile now. About three years ago, i took it apart, and cleaned the five contacts, then put dielectric grease, on said contacts. That may or may not, have been a good idea.

All was fine till this weekend. Heading towards Foxen Canyon Road just north of Santa Barbara, Ca., my 2002 FZ1 started mis-firing, and almost stopped running. Just as it was about to die, it came back to life! Hmm! I continued riding, and then about a mile or so later, the tach and speedo needles started to bounce up and down! The fuel gauge never moved, however. Then miles later, more mis-firing, when i was on Highway 154, by Cachuma lake, and finally the bike died, period. Right by the side of road, and i mean at the side of road! No shoulder! Traffic right next to me! WONDERFUL! S.O.B.

Anyway, a fellow came by riding Ural with side car. "Having trouble"? Yes, i said, the battery is dead, i guess. Odd, because i put a new battery in, just six months ago. This fellow, was amazing! He had a portable battery charger, So with cars roaring by, we put the charger on the battery for fifteen minutes. The battery then had enough charge, to start the bike, and ride about a quarter of a mile to a safe off road area.

About that time a couple of the lads come back, to see what happened to me. So, i had already checked all the fuses, and they were fine. Rich S. who runs a motorcycle repair shop, had a mini device to check the charging system. He checks it out, and the bike is not charging the battery. Right about that time, the light bulb goes off in my head! Hmm, the "white connector"! I wonder? So we lift up the gas tank, and pull apart the connector. This fellow on the Ural also, had a fresh can of contact cleaner! I kid you not! Rich, sprays both parts of the open connector, and then uses a brass bristle brush, supplied by guess who, to clean the contacts of said connector. Plug the connector back together, charge the battery another fifteen minutes, fire the bike up, and check for charging. Running at a constant 3k rpm's, it showed 14.2 volts. At idle 14.2, volts, also. It was the %*&#^%$ white connector!

So, i ride the bike back to Nopomo, where we are staying. The couple that live in this huge house where are staying, have a huge garage, also. The fellow John, is a hobbyist and had a wire cutter, soldering iron, solder, shrink wrap, and black electric tape.

So Rich cut a wire at a time, as there are three white wires, along with a black and a red wire. He soldered each wire together, then shrink wrapped each soldered wire. After that, i wrapped all five wires together with the black tape, then used a tie wrap, to secure the soldered wires to a adjoining wire harness.

I rode the bike yesterday to here in Hermosa Beach, with zero problems.

So my friends, my advice to you is this. If you have a gen.1 with 50K miles on it, or more, i would HIGHLY recommend this. Either cut that fu*king white connector out, and hard wire the wires in as i did, or remove the white connector, and replace it, with a heavy duty connector. Because you will have a problem, at some point, i guarantee it! That white connector will fail, too much heat at that connection.

Okay, i am done now! lol!

Dean
Old 12-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #14
Armadillo

What is the AC voltage i should see from the stator? I'm getting about 45 volts from each of the 3 white wires. My manual is at home.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #15
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
What is the AC voltage i should see from the stator? I'm getting about 45 volts from each of the 3 white wires. My manual is at home.
It's not specified in the FSM, but the resistance of the coil resistance between any 2 of the 3 white wires is 0.27-0.33 Ohms at 20º C

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #16
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Happened to me this morning on my way into work. 115000 on the odometer. I have a spare regulator here at the shop. The old one is probably fine is my guess. The connector is a little charred up.

You should be fine. I have put another four thousand miles on my 2002 FZ1, since that happened, this last spring.

The fellow that helped me solder all those wires together by passing that %&*$&% white connector, is a retired "Plantonics" engineer. He said no worries, nothing happened to the regulator. And with 4k miles on the bike, since that situation happened, he must be right.

Either hard wire in those wires as i did, or obtain a much better connector, than the o.e.m. unit.

I will be checking that w.c. on the new to me, 2001 FZ1, i just obtained. Bike only has 8,192 miles, but one never knows. I will pull it apart, and hit it with dielectric grease, at the least.

Dean
Old 12-12-2017, 07:49 AM   #17
firefly
2004 FZ1

A while back I cut off the white connector and used waterproof Posi-Lock Connectors, never had a problem since & voltage is ~ 14 volts. gen-1 skunk with 56K on it & used extensively every day, I live near the ocean with high humidity that oxidizes everything.
I think it is an essential mod to avoid getting stranded with a dead battery, also weak charging shortens the life of the battery significantly.
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #18
isleoman

I thought I would never have a white connector failure.

Happened this summer at about 220K. I had been watching the marginal charging for a while, but the connector itself always looked pretty good.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #19
DeltaHotel
Don Hutchins

I opted for 30amp Power Pole connectors like suggested by Eskort here:
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/eskortsde...lacement.shtml

It's a bit frustrating that this poor design somehow made it to production. That stock connector just is not sufficient for the high current loads and will eventually fail (one of those "not a question of IF, but WHEN" things).

(I put a bit of colored tape on two of the white wires to help me distinguish them)
Attached Images
File Type: png pp1.PNG (131.7 KB, 251 views)
File Type: png pp3.PNG (235.6 KB, 256 views)
File Type: png pp2.PNG (161.5 KB, 252 views)
Old 12-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #20
didier9

Quote:
I believe the peak voltage (I assume around 5,000 rpm) is around 65V, expect lower voltage at lower rpm.

As long as the voltages are balanced, the generator is probably fine (electrically).

On my 03, with 2 x 55W HID projectors turned on, the generator actually starts charging the battery at 2,000 rpm. That means at 2,000 rpm, the generator produces more current than used by the HIDs and the rest of the bike’s electronics and running lights. I believe the EFI on the gen 2s draws quite a bit more current than on the gen 1s.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues