click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance

Old 08-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
isleoman

Oil Thread

Are we desperate enough for a another oil thread? Probably not. Still using 15/50 Mobil One.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
dingbat
I brake for ice cream.

Oil, yes.
I have always used it in all my motorcycles. I think they run much better with it.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
Dean Dinnetz

Thats all my 2001 FZ1 that i picked up from Pat.G., has ever seen.

My 2002 FZ1 however, gets whatever is on sale. 20/50 in that bike, and with 126,839 miles on it, can't be all bad. The ol' wreck still runs well. Does use some oil if i am hammering on it, but not bad, for a bike with that mileage.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Remember oil cans you opened with the opener from your kitchen or just stabbing it with your pocketknife? The good ol' days.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:41 PM   #5
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Remember oil cans you opened with the opener from your kitchen or just stabbing it with your pocketknife? The good ol' days.

We use to call them "church keys". Loooong time ago.

Dean

P.S. I still open canned goods with my Army P-38 manual, foldable can opener. Had it on a key chain, since Fort Lewis days, circa 1967! Still works fine, at opening cans. lol!
Old 09-29-2020, 07:35 PM   #6
isleoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
Thats all my 2001 FZ1 that i picked up from Pat.G., has ever seen.

My 2002 FZ1 however, gets whatever is on sale. 20/50 in that bike, and with 126,839 miles on it, can't be all bad. The ol' wreck still runs well. Does use some oil if i am hammering on it, but not bad, for a bike with that mileage.

Dean
My original (150K miles) and my current motor (125K) started using oil at about 75-80K miles. I've never seen any smoke from the exhaust on either.

I also have a spare Gen 1 with only 6K on it for comparison, and the old one hasn't lost too much get up and go. I do notice less engine breaking which suggest some loss of compression.

I'm typically adding about 4 to 8 ounces every 500 miles or so. In the spring and fall when it's cool it consumes a lot less. So I'm using a Qt. in between 3000 mile oil changes. I try to maintain the level just shy of the top of the site glass and refill when it get down to the indicated full line. That over-filling practice may be causing some loss from windage.

I always check the oil level pre-ride (cold) which I don't think is recommended. I think you're suppose to do it after warm up. I find the oil level to be somewhat erratic after warm up and don't want to be dicking around waiting for it to re-settle. I've had several times where I've added oil after warm up, and then it's over filled when checked later.

I'd like consumption to be zero but a qt. every 3000 miles is within the acceptable levels of consumption for many new cars.

Used a lot of Rotella early on with no problems, but I do feel the Mobil 1 is better for consumption.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
Dean Dinnetz

The last time I took the high mileage 2002 model on a three day Sierra Mountains trip about a year and a half ago, I think I used about a pint of oil in nine hundred miles in three days. We were shall I say, "motoring briskly" on that run, so no surprise the ol' wreck used oil.

I have asked other riders if they ever see any smoke from the bike, but none do. Don't know where the oil goes, but smoke is not visible.

I rarely now take that bike on long trips. The 2001 model, only has 30K miles on it, so I use that bike for long trips. Like you, I do not notice that the high mileage bike, is much slower than the low mileage unit. The thing runs well for all the miles on it.

Mind you, I do take very good care of it. Oil changes at 2K miles since new, and oil changes on the Mobil one bike, at 4K miles with the full syn. oil.

Dean
Old 09-30-2020, 06:19 AM   #8
iluvmyfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
We use to call them "church keys". Loooong time ago.

Dean

P.S. I still open canned goods with my Army P-38 manual, foldable can opener. Had it on a key chain, since Fort Lewis days, circa 1967! Still works fine, at opening cans. lol!
Ah, the awesome little P38. Supposedly so named because it took 38 cuts to open a standard can. I've also kept one on my keychain since obtaining from set of rations back in the early 80's. I keep a small stash around and give them to folks randomly. Kids think they are cool.

They also make the larger version, P51, which give a bit more leverage.

I'll be doing some work at Ft. Lewis in the near future, which I'm looking forward to visiting for the first time. Were you Army or Air Force Dean?
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- Penske 8987 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LED headlights- Carbon airbox covers- Fehling engine case guards (footrests!)- MRA Vario shield -
Old 09-30-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
Dean Dinnetz

National Guard, my friend. Was at F.L. from April 1967 to August 1967. Basic, then A.I.T. as a 81 m.m. mortar gunner. As our D.I. told us in A.I.T., "Mortar men walk, they don't march"! lol! Lewis was Army in those days, and McCord close by, was Air Force. I now believe they are combined into one unit. Is that correct?

I stopped by the north fort at F.L., about twenty years ago. The north fort part was where i was doing my training. Gawd, it was still exactly the same as when i was there! Same old W.W.II barracks i was housed in. Next time i am up north on a tour, i will stop in again, if i can.

Dean L. Dinnetz
Sp. 5
NG-2*29*27*

P.S. If possible, do you have any spare P-38's? Mine is getting so old from being used, and the part that fits on my key chain, is almost worn through! lol! Been on different key chains now, for fifty three years! lol! I think they came with K rations, that we would get in the field. Anyway, please let me know if you could send me one. And have a great day, sir.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:54 AM   #10
oldjeep

Had to google that, as I am not a military guy, but it looks like for $7 you can get a few of them ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Open.../dp/B07QFG12S1
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #11
Dean Dinnetz

iluvmyfz1, don't bother with the P38.

I did not realize that one could still obtain one of those can openers. And obtain one i did, on E-b*y, for a buck ninety!

Still made by Shelby. Looks like after fifty three years, i will retire the P38 that i now have. lol!

You all have a nice day.

Dean
Old 09-30-2020, 09:57 AM   #12
iluvmyfz1

Good deal Dean! That's where I get them in bulk, and yes, still made by Shelby.

Yep, it is now a combined base. Lot o stuff going on there.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance