click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum

Old 10-04-2020, 07:30 AM   #41
okaugust
Evolve or Die

Great stuff!
Old 10-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #42
fz1azul
Post Whore in Training

Thanks, Tina. Cars are sure a lot easier to capture than birds.

Only good bird pix I got were some vultures, waiting for dinner to die.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #43
okaugust
Evolve or Die

I like to shake my fist at them and say, “Not today!!!”
Old 10-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #44
fz1azul
Post Whore in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaugust View Post
I like to shake my fist at them and say, “Not today!!!”
Old 10-08-2020, 08:15 AM   #45
Lickety Split

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz1azul View Post
The pandemic has caused the cancellation of many events in San Antonio, but we heard of a classic car & truck show at an ice house/biergarten/campground just outside of Fredericksburg, Texas. Originally, our plan was to have some German cuisine in town, then hit the show. But, Fredericksburg was packed with tourists, with no parking spots even close to town. So, motored up N. Hwy 16 to Pecan Grove Sinclair,

got a Dino burger & beer, listened to the live band, then walked & gawked at the beautiful cars and trucks scattered throughout the shaded campgrounds.
That is one of my main destinations. Away from the Fredericksburg crowds and under the trees with a burger and beer.
Lickety Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:56 PM   #46
fz1azul
Post Whore in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety Split View Post
That is one of my main destinations. Away from the Fredericksburg crowds and under the trees with a burger and beer.
Have gone by that place a number of times while on group rides ... this was the first time I've stopped there. Dino burgers are pretty tasty! This event has been held there each September for a while. They also hold a custom bike show each spring. I liked the stable of bikes in the Pecan Grove motorcycle 'shop'.

Speaking of bike shows, I was so looking forward for this years Harvest Classic in Luckenbach. And they said it will be held on Oct. 17th ... virtually, via live-streaming.
http://www.harvestclassic.org/featur...s-years-rally/

It is a fund raiser & being the 18th Classic, I guess the promoters had to try something. I wish them luck and hope the 19th annual event can be an actual EVENT.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:51 AM   #47
okaugust
Evolve or Die

Saturday we went back to Guernsey State Park. Guernsey has some nice trees, lots of big cottonwoods and evergreens, and it's far enough east that I was hoping to find some eastern migrants.

They draw the water down in July and send it out to the farms in Nebraska, so it loses a lot of its boating and beach crowd. It's quite, just how I like it.

Not much water left to flow through the old dams.

I love that era of architecture

It was all yellow....

It doesn't look like it's that low, but those little raft looking things are the boat ramps, so no bueno on getting boats out there.

The low water was also the end of the crawdaddies, who probably became food for the birbs.

There were a few birds out still. Canyon Wrens I saw more in Colorado, but in Wyoming I tend to hear them more than see them. They have a descending call, tweeetweetweetwe if you are in a rocky area, it's an easy call to remember. I was pretty happy this one came out and gave some good looks, so I don't see them often anymore.

Big, flapping, yellow leaves make for some tough shots, but good ones when you get them.

Red-breasted Nuthatch

And a White-breasted Nuthatch

I thought I'd hit the trifecta and found Pygmy Nuthatches as well, but the call I heard were Red Crossbills, which have a similar oft repeated pip pip pip call. Red Crossbills are here because of the evergreens and their seed crop. Surprising to see them in deciduous trees though.

Another bird here for a particular food source are Townsend's Solitaires, which were out in force. Related to the Robin, this bird is typically a high elevation bird over the summer, coming to lower areas in the winter, migrating mostly up and down in elevation and not north and south so much. This is one bird that sings year around, establishing territory for their juniper berry patches.

The find of the day was this nice White-throated Sparrow, spotted by Mike. This is more of an eastern bird, though we get 4-5 reports of them migrating through each year, mostly in the fall. Last fall and early winter one hung out at my friend's feeders here locally for several weeks. The white throat is a helpful ID, but the yellow eyebrows seal the deal.

After Guernsey we headed toward home, but made a quick stop at Glendo Reservoir, which was about as equally empty. We picked a camp spot, made camp food and motored about before going home. Not much daylight left.

Water is low here too. It's such a dry year that almost every reservoir I go to is so drawn down that large parts of them are growing grass and other vegetation at the bottom.

This is normally lake bed, and we were driving on it.

We got a nice Sandhill Crane flyover. They are almost out of here.

There are a few staging areas around where they fly in, bulk up, then take off in flocks. Last Sunday my friend Jackie and I went to one of these areas, and there were maybe 60 cranes. Another friend, Sue, went to a location just to the west of hear and found maybe 200+. Yesterday I went to that first spot again and no cranes. They are heading south, to places like Bosque del Apache NWR in NM where there will be 1000s of them.

Also on Sunday, as we hit a few of the local lakes and reservoirs...

American Kestrel

American Pipit, a nice bird that tends to come into lake shores during migration. They've been all over the last couple of weeks, in larger numbers than I'm used to seeing.

And the first American Tree Sparrow of the winter, another bird that has a handy ID trick, that the top of the bill is dark, and the bottom yellow. That and the spot are handy. They don't usually show up for a couple more weeks.

Gray Partridge are out, along with Sharp-tailed Grouse, and as dumb as they both can be, they are smart enough to head to the lake where they won't get shot.

Pine Siskin, which look a lot like House Finches, except the yellow wing and buzzy call gives them away. Again, a bird I don't see often in deciduous trees, but I think they are looking for insects.

Saw two, maybe three loons finally. They come into the lakes and will stay here several weeks getting fat before heading on again as well. More on this one later....

Another sparrow coming in, the White-crowned. This one the males have a nice black and white striping on the head, while the females are brown on tan.

Then a last bird, from a quick walk Tuesday morning at the local historic site, a Blue Jay, and he's mimicking my expressing of pondering....

Because I posted the loon photo and immediately one of my birding savants said Whoa! Do you know what you have here? Of course not! Most loons in non-breeding plumage look alike. But this is why I just keep looking, keep taking photos, because if I'd gotten my short glimpse in the field, I would have called it the typical Common Loon, but being able to get one or two quick shots determined it was actually quite rare. It took me two days of my birding friends trying to help me work through the ID, giving me nudges but not the answer (they want me to learn dammit) until I came up with Red-throated Loon.

The bird should NOT be here. There are six state records of sightings, one of which was of the same bird two weeks apart at the same place. Most of those records are from the state records committee, only a couple are recent enough to have gone directly to eBird. No idea why it came this way, it should be along the Pacific and Atlantic coasts. Maybe blown off course, maybe came in with a group of Common, maybe the smoke has diverted it. It's now been there all week, so Thursday we went out and got some more shots of it. Birders are flocking to see it! Well, 3-4 of us.

It's not in breeding plumage, which is stunning, but it's a lifer, and I'm happy to have found it and I'll take it.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-throated_Loon

Thursday we got to hear it call as well.

Here is a Common Loon, still in fading breeding plumage.

And this guy, smaller, slimmer, shorter bill, less definition between upper and lower body, and an "uppity" head posture, to borrow a friend's phrase.

Also, the plumpness of the neck and head are similar, another ID mark.

The light was great.

This is what makes birding so fun, the Easter eggs!
Old 10-09-2020, 07:11 AM   #48
Lickety Split

Really nice photos Tina. That Loon is not going to die there in the cold winter, is it?
Old 10-09-2020, 07:46 AM   #49
okaugust
Evolve or Die

No, they will all move on before that happens. Loons show up in late September, stay through mid November, then come back in mid-April for 2-3 weeks. Lake DeSmet is about 9 miles long, and 120 feet deep. It's also not used for power or siphoned off, so it stays deep. It originated from a coal seam fire a zillion years ago, and has an interesting history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_D..._Bozeman_Trail

It won't freeze until December and starts to thaw in March and April. While all loons are supposed to winter along the coasts, the Common Loon's migration area is all of the US. And actually lakes that aren't that far south of us, like in Colorado, that don't freeze over winter, often have one or two unusual loons that will end up sticking it out there for weeks or months over winter.

Last March I saw a Yellow-billed Loon through someone else's scope at Standley Lake in Westminster, CO, for instance.

That being said, while birds do have a migration imprint, so to speak, it's not usual for a bird that goes the wrong way to repeat the process year over year. With luck in the spring it will get back where it belongs, and will follow a more typical course the following years. Though it can happen, that an odd one will do that.

As my dad once said, "birds can fly 1000s of miles without getting lost, and we can't get across town without a GPS."
Old 10-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #50
Lickety Split

Oh, I see. That is interesting to know. Apparently, butterflies can migrate long distances too. Jred and I rode out to Big Bend last weekend. There were millions of small Monarch looking butterflies flying south into Mexico. It was a pretty nasty experience on the bike.

Guernsey seems to be full of surprises. I did not realize that park was just north of the Oregon trail ruts. Adding it to my central and eastern Wyoming wish list. Keep those posts coming. It sure is more interesting than working.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #51
okaugust
Evolve or Die

Yes! I've been there to that rut! I was kind of befuddled, because on either side of this rocky area is pretty wide open prairie, so I couldn't understand why they decided to cut and go through solid rock instead.

The cliffs were a little underwhelming. I felt like I was seeing a lot more recent graffiti than older settler stuff, but then I was easily distracted...

Hey look, birbs!

Then at first I thought they'd done some really decorative mud work around the nests, until...

Anyway...Guernsey is nice if you like to camp, but also they have four pretty cool yurts that are super affordable, and in most years, a shower house that is one person at a time in a locked vault room.

We were somewhere else last Saturday that was right on the trail but now for the life of me I can't remember the exact spot.

Register Cliffs, where people have been marking passage for decades.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:17 AM   #52
Lickety Split

Something about the sand in that area formed a natural choke point forcing the immigrants through that one spot. At least that is what the sign says. There were newer signatures in the rocks at Robbers Roost too. Assholes.

Was that snake looking for eggs or going after the birds themselves??
Old 10-14-2020, 06:56 AM   #53
okaugust
Evolve or Die

Both.

Luckily most of the birds were old enough to fly, as far as I could tell. If it was getting anything, I didn't see it. It didn't seem to take long enough to eat anything anyway. Just poke its head in, go to the next one.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:12 AM   #54
bradd
Working away

And behold I saw Death! Riding on a Rainbow colored horse, with sparkles!

Nice avatar Tina

Was out for a drive yesterday

Old 10-15-2020, 06:35 PM   #55
okaugust
Evolve or Die

Nice, Brad!
Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM   #56
okaugust
Evolve or Die

So I'm between jobs! I'm leaving my low pay low stress job and going back in for more pay and more stress. I took off two days between, and we went to Yellowstone.

Saturday we left, heading over the Bighorns, just as snow was coming in.

At Burgess Junction I found my first fall Rough-legged Hawk, migrating down from the frozen tundra, and looking, well, a little rough.

Through Cody and into Shoshone National Forest

Off to a good start, we found the usual tell tale animal signs just east of the park entrance....a bunch of vehicles parked on the road, people out with cameras.

Bear!

Whew, pressure off!

First day was particularly about birding. There are some great birds in the park that you don't usually find in other places around Wyoming, though especially at this time of year, with colder weather coming in, they can be hard to find. Most of the summer birds have moved out, migrants may be coming through, but with 36 degrees and wet and snowy weather, it's hard to find the motivation to hike a few miles.

We headed first to Le Hardy Rapids to spot a few Harlequin Ducks that are still hanging around. This is one of the very few places that isn't coastal where they are found. In the spring and summer the males with their stunning breeding plumage are there, but right now the common thought is this is a 2020 brood still fattening up before they take off for the coast. There are only a handful of breeding birds here.

Ain't that purdy?

It's also a place where Barrow's Goldeneye are found in large numbers. You can tell Barrow's from Common by the white eye mark that is crescent tear shaped vs an oval.

And American Dipper LOVE the rapids area as well. There were at least four.

Heading over along the shore line, looking unsuccessfully for scoters, and past the Yellowstone Lake Lodge, heading for the marina to look for owls, Mike spotted the usual knot of people so we headed over.

Woo! Great Gray Owl!!

It kept looking at one spot on the ground. Waiting for Mr Mousie probably.

Great Grays are considered sensitive species. You can put them on an eBird checklist, and you can search and find photos and counties, but not exact locations. That being said, these are pretty used to people. Some photographers were camped out about 30 feet away with giant lenses. I sat back on the edges.

Close enough.

The marina is almost empty of boats, just a few park service skiffs still tied up.

A Western Grebe fishing the marina area.

Signage says wear a life vest. Your chance of survival in the lake at its temps is 20 minutes.

Found a small group of Canada (formerly Gray) Jays aka Camp Robbers. Though it's hard to say who begs the worst, them or....

The Common Ravens that are in every parking lot.

We stopped at the Mud Volcano area. These are fun, and one of my favorites...

Dragon's Mouth Spring and it's easy to see why.

Like a lot of areas, the abundance of spring types in one place is amazing. That and the idea the whole thing could go at any time, but that's another thing.

In one small area there are springs, steam vents, mud pools, geysers.

Bison, of course. Our new goal is to quit calling them Buffalo. But, as I say, like the word "clip" doesn't it eventually get to mean what every thinks it does?

The Yellowstone River

And Trumpeter Swans! They are still releasing swans back into the area, a years long re-introduction project. It's going swimmingly.

Hit a few of the waterfall areas. Lower Falls, I think. I always mean to take photos of more signs so I remember what I'm looking at, then I don't.

The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone

And the upper falls

This rotund bear may be ready to hibernate.

Just caught a glimpse as it headed to the trees.

It's getting dark, too dark to see...

Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM   #57
okaugust
Evolve or Die

Day Two was all about the thermal features.

The first place we went was the Norris Basin. Here we walked around 2.5 miles of trails and boardwalks. The further you get from the parking lot, the fewer people. I only had nicely ask one foreign tourist to please step off the crust of a thermal feature and back onto the trail, trying to mime "you'll break through" in Japanese.

This is one of my favorite spots there in early winter, because the blues and greens are stunning.

New worlds emerging

To quote one fellow frantically snapping cell phone photos, "there are no bad photos here."

Definition of a "tourist trap" if you fall in. People don't realize it's that thin, but the hole in the front gives you an idea.

I took Rocks for Jocks in college, I got nothing to say but let the pictures do it.

Next stop was Artist's Paintpots, another favorite spot.

This might be my other favorite feature at the park. It's a medium sized dome of bubbling mud. The mud looks like the consistency of dry wall mud.

And I could stand here for an hour trying to catch the bubbles forming, bursting and splashing.

Firehole Falls

This time I let Mike talk me into doing two things: Grand Prismatic Spring for one.

We got lucky and found a parking place without having to circle like a shark for 10 minutes.

One of the pools going up to the spring

Now, I'll say this, LOOK UP GRAND PRISMATIC SPRING on the googles and check it out. It's amazing, but how people get the overhead shots, I have no idea. Plus, this one is so steamy in the winter that maybe I missed the boat on it that way too.

It's quite stunning, but probably more so with an illegal drone.

The people in front of us "look someone stepped off the path!" Me, "yeah, a bison..."

Ah well. On to my second concession, Old Faithful. We got there about 2:20, and next expected eruption is 3:22, give or take 10 minutes the sign says.

So we walked around a bit

And it's snowing, wet and about 36 degrees. Stopped in the gift store, out of XL t shirt packs, back out again, walk around the geyser.

It could go AT ANY TIME!!

This is not my bag, baby.

And away we go!

Okay, it was pretty cool. It's definitely a fireworks moment. Oooh! Aaah!

Lots of elk on the north entrance, but found this solo big boy in the park along Gibbon River.

Got a short one mile hike in. Norris was 2.5 miles, Paintpots another 1.5 miles, getting to and from parking lots to geysers add another couple of miles, and so ended with this. Sheepeater Trail. A lot of people pull into the parking area, look, and go right back out again.

But if you walk in about half a mile, there is a great spot to push someone into the river.

(Trust me, if you ever go there, you'll find the exact spot I mean)

Fortunately, despite being hungry, wet and cold and surly, we made it back.

Heading to Livingston again. Nice little burg, good food and rates are cheap right now (vs Jackson).

Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM   #58
okaugust
Evolve or Die

Last run, and a run it was. Mike had to work today, so while we came back via the Lamar Valley, it was pretty much at warp speed, so some shots while flying along from the car.

Coming out the other side, I think Heart Mountain near Cody, coming down Chief Joseph Highway.

Got home and went for a walk. We got a foot of snow while we were gone!

Bonus photo: Male Harlequin Duck at Le Hardy Rapids, May 2018

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM   #59
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Thank you for contributing to the still broken forum. Great stories and photos!
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM   #60
fz1azul
Post Whore in Training

Incredible, stunning, beautiful ... just a few of the adjectives needed to describe your awesome Yellowstone images, Tina!

Yolanda & I will be in Rapid City for my nieces wedding in June, and your photos convinced me to allow extra time for a trip to Yellowstone. Hopefully the herds of tourists won't be too unbearable in early summer.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Members Video and Photo Forum